Monday, October 1, 2018

Q&A with Arashi Cogan

by Awa Konte

UMSL is known for its diverse student population, which ranges from residential to commuters, young and old, parent and non-parent, etc.

I had the opportunity to interview Arashi Cogan, a senior history major whose anticipated graduation date is May 2019. Before UMSL, Arashi, attended St. Louis Community College (STLCC) for two years and was an active athlete in tennis - a sport he has played for ten years. 


Below is a brief interview with him:

Q: Why did you come to UMSL?

A: The connections I made at STLCC allowed me to have an easier path to transition into a four-year university like UMSL. Given they have a base at STLCC, it was easy to access information, such as which credits would transfer, financial aid, etc. I also decided to stop actively pursuing colleges based on their tennis team, which then gave more reason to look at schools that were in-state.

Q: Most students during their stay here try to join at least one organization on-campus, are you involved with any organization?

A: No, I do not have the time for extracurricular activities since I coach part-time for tennis on weekdays and weekends.

Q: What are your plans after UMSL?

A: I am planning on going to graduate school in Japan. I’ve had this goal for a while now, so the closer to graduation I get, the more realistic it becomes. I’ve moved back and forth between Japan and the U.S., so it won’t be that different from how I’ve lived the majority of my life. I also want to improve my Japanese as well.

Q: As with any interview, I have to ask the classic question that everyone gets: if you could give advice to your younger self, what would it be?
A: I would honestly just tell myself to go outside of my comfort zone. There were a lot of opportunities I passed up that would’ve definitely changed my college experience if I had taken them.

No comments:

Post a Comment