Monday, October 8, 2018

Q&A with UMSL Ambassador Shyanne Closser

by Abby Weiskopf
Shyanne Closser


The UMSL Ambassadors is a unique and diverse group with many different and interesting members. One of the members is Shyanne Closser, an extremely hardworking and dedicated individual who has overcome many challenges since her arrival to UMSL. I sat down with her to learn more about why she chose this organization and how she is able to balance her many activities this semester.

Q: Why did you choose to join this organization over any other?

A: It seemed like a good opportunity to build my resume and build leadership skills. It provides a lot of benefits in terms of helping me build my public speaking and interview skills, which I will need to forward myself for the future.

Q: What is your favorite part of being an UMSL Ambassador thus far?

A: I really enjoy the diversity of the organization and how many new people I have already met in my short time with the Ambassadors. I didn’t realize how many different cultures and people we had on campus.

Q: Why did you come to UMSL? 


A: It had a good cost to education ratio. I really value the quality of education I am receiving compared to my student loans. Since coming to UMSL, I have realized that there is a really good support network here, and I think that’s really important.

Q: What have you struggled with and how have you overcome it?

A: When my parents divorced when I was twelve, my family completely split apart and that was really difficult for me. I had to grow up really quickly and that has impacted me until this day. I struggled with it through high school, but that didn’t stop me from joining extracurricular activities and maintaining a strong GPA so I could get into a good school.

Q: Since you’ve had that experience in your life, what advice would you give someone who's having a hard time in their life right now?

A: To anyone else that is going through a hard time, I would tell them that while everything may seem bleak right now, things will always get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment