Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Diversity Matters

By Liliana De La Garza


One of the amazing parts of being an UMSL Ambassador is the diversity we share as an entity.

As a non-traditional student born in Mexico, my first day walking onto campus brought on a flurry of questions: Why am I here? Will I feel out of place? Am I making the right choice for myself? Am I too old to be here? Are there other students who look like me?

It took a matter of only days on campus to realize that diversity and inclusion are something that UMSL encourages, and appreciates throughout the student demographic. This notion was more clearly defined by the amazing group of individuals that comes together as the UMSL Ambassadors.

We have people of all creeds, backgrounds, races, majors, minors, height, etc. For myself, I find a sense of harmony knowing that I am not the only person in our group who was born elsewhere, or didn’t go to college right after high school, or who looks different. We come together to share, learn, and grow in our educational goals and interpersonal goals. To learn from one another and make sense of this grueling, tedious, worthwhile, and often frustrating adventure that is our college experience.

We represent and honor our school through the participation as ambassadors, but also in how we carry ourselves. We were selected because of our diverse experiences, and distinct stories. For someone with a not so traditional story that is something that I feel grateful to be a member of. So as we proudly wear our vests and guide guests at important events, I hope we can all appreciate the beauty that is our group of wonderfully, talented, unique, and ambitious group of ambassadors.

No comments:

Post a Comment