Friday, November 9, 2018

Liah’s Transition to UMSL

by Liah Watson & Awa Konte

This week we are highlighting yet another ambassador: Liah Watson. Liah is a transfer student from Missouri Western State University. Since her transfer to the UMSL campus, there are just a few things that she wanted to share in terms of her transition to UMSL and her involvement with the UMSL Ambassadors program:

Hello everyone, my name is Liah Watson and I am a freshman transfer student from Missouri Western State University. I’ve been at UMSL for almost one semester now, and I can honestly say I feel like I am part of the UMSL

community. Truth be told, I was a bit nervous about the transfer since I didn’t really know anyone and everything was so new. But ever since I got my foot in the door, I saw the variety of opportunities that UMSL has to offer - one example being the UMSL Ambassador Program. 

For me, the ambassador program has given me so many experiences I can’t imagine being without. I had the opportunity to network with students and professionals alike at this year’s Founders Dinner, and I’ve attended a workshop that strengthened my basic abilities in interviewing. But one of the most important statements I can make is that I've made friends, not acquaintances. There is just so much that I want to say about it, but that would require another blog post!

One of the perks of being a student is that I get the opportunity to fully interact with the faculty and staff here. The staff at UMSL have been wonderful, positive and so friendly. The professors are understanding and are willing to work with you if you are having difficulty in the course. I already somewhat alluded to this, but transferring to UMSL has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Since I told you about how great UMSL has been, I would like to tell you what a typical Monday for me is like. Mondays start at 8:30 a.m. since I commute to campus. Class begins at 9:30 a.m. and when it ends at 10:45 a.m., I have a two-hour break before the next. I take this time to eat lunch, talk to classmates, and do some homework. Afterward, I head to my last class of the day, which I attend from 12:30 p.m. to 1:20 p.m. Because I have some time before going to work around 4 p.m., I usually take a nap or go to my grandmother’s house to take care of her. 

The work day is long and usually ends around 10 p.m. or 11 p.m., which isn’t too bad but not exactly ideal either. I’ve learned to balance it with being involved and being a student throughout the semester as it has not always been easy. That’s all I have to say, so I hope you’ve enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment