Wednesday, March 29, 2017

An Interview with UMSL Ambassador Sydni Jackson




Sydni Jackson is a Junior engineering major at UMSL. She has been an ambassador for almost four semesters and is a current Lead in Training (LiT).

Q: What drew you to UMSL?
A: The engineering program. Knowing that it has one of the best dual programs with Washington University was more reason to attend UMSL.

Q: Was it difficult for you to get involved?
A: It was surprisingly easy to get involved. The first organization that I got involved in was the UMSL Ambassadors program. I was introduced to the program by a former ambassador and mentor, Eric’el Johnson. From there, a plethora of opportunities opened up to me.

Q: What other organizations are you a part of now?
A: Aside from being in the University Program Board (UPB), I am part of the West County Community Action Network (WE CAN) and the Residential Housing Association.

Q: Can you tell me more about WE CAN?
A: WE CAN is an organization that I recently joined in July of 2016. Their mission for promoting justice for all individuals is one of many reasons I decided to join. The people involved are also very welcoming and make you feel that your opinions are valued.  I also have a leadership role, although new, that motivates me to stay.

Q: What do you do in your free time?
A: Since I am so busy, I like doing activities with WE CAN… and sleeping whenever I get the chance.

Q: What is one odd thing about you?
A: I like to online window shop. I know that not many people would find that bizarre, but it’s a form of entertainment for me. Somewhat of a hobby that I only do from time to time.

Q: If you could give your past self a piece of advice, what would it be?
A: To my middle school and high school self I would say: that being awkward is okay. A lot of the social standards you think are important aren’t. When you get to college, you will meet an amazing group of people who will accept you as you are. Be yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment